Today was an awesome day. I’m going to list the numerous reasons why below.
- Today was day 1 of our annual field trip to the Monmouth Junior Science Symposium. I love listening to the high school students who present their research and I always learn something.
- The text-to-text lesson plan for Speak that I wrote with my awesome Learning Network editor went live today. Speak is such an important book to me and I think it should be required reading, so anything I can do to help teachers bring it into their classrooms makes me happy. It’s even cooler that when I tweeted Laurie Halse Anderson the link she was so kind and impressed.
- I had a lot of reading time today. I’m in the middle of Kelly Gallagher’s In the Best Interest of Students: Staying True to What Works in the ELA Classroom and I highly recommend it. The chapters are short but they are packed with great ideas.
- Some of my alumnae visited and they fixed my library! When I got back the trip my principal told me, “Oh! You missed Kat and Kiera! They came to visit and they were so disappointed that you weren’t here. I told them they should take a picture of themselves surrounded by your books and send it to you. Did you get it?” I had not, but when I walked out of the office I pulled out my phone to double-check. When I looked up, Kat and Kiera tackled me with hugs. We chatted for about 45 minutes and caught up, which was wonderful. They returned some books they had borrowed, raved about a few (especially Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld), and organized my library. These amazing girls spent almost two hours re-alphabetizing all of my books. My library looks amazing!
- The Paper Towns trailer came out today! And while that’s exciting in and of itself, something even cooler happened. One of my students won a social media contest and was invited to a secret trailer premiere yesterday. Today she surprised me with a poster from the secret meeting! She was on cloud nine because John Green was there and so were some of the actors from the movie. How cool is that?!
- March Madness is here! The next few days are my favorite days of the year. Basketball is on from noon until midnight, there are crazy upset, and there is never a dull moment. I’ve been watching all day and even though my bracket is busted it has been fantastic!
- It’s almost time for the NJCTE conference! If you are in NJ you should come! We have great workshops, awesome authors, free books, and food! Oh, and there are door prizes. You can register at the door so make your way to Montclair on Saturday morning.
All in all, it’s been a pretty awesome day.