Right now, we are working on personal essays in writing. I am using the UOS Personal Essay (Calkins) book as my basic skeleton, tweaking where needed. Today, my kids began drafting their thesis statements. I am so impressed with the work they were doing! Some of their ideas were just phenomenal!
Some of the ideas so far:
- Many families today are complicated, but half-siblings, step-parents, and significant others are all real family to many kids.
- The state should not be allowed to mandate the snacks permitted in school, especially for celebrations and birthdays.
- Kids should be allowed to vote in the presidential election
- School lunches should be healthier.
- Older siblings are a pain in the butt.
- Our school should offer movies at lunch time.