If you aren’t already on the English Companion Ning, I can not recommend it enough. I check the Ning everyday and love the conversations, groups, and blog postings that are shared by teachers all over the world. The conversations in the forum are deep and thought-provoking. At least a few times each week there is a posting that forces me to sit back and reflect on my own teaching and teaching practices.
In this age of PLC’s and PLN’s, the English Companion Ning is the ultimate personal learning network. You can bounce ideas off of colleagues from different grade levels, different countries, and different specialties.
Not sure where to start? Check out a few of these conversations:
- What does it mean to “teach” a novel?
- Explicit Grammar Instruction
- Is anyone using reading/writing workshop at upper middle level?
- ECN Book Club: The Socially Networked Classroom
- Personal and Professional Balance